Overview of Industry
For more than three decades, VF&N has represented developers, business owners, individuals, homeowners and condominium owners’ associations, landlords, tenants, and sellers and purchasers of real estate throughout Northern Virginia.
VFN’s Virginia real estate development attorneys know the local landscape and provide legal guidance at every stage of the life cycle of commercial real estate projects, including acquisition, financing, entitlement, development, leasing, and disposition. Our Real Estate team is a collaborative group of land use, real estate, and leasing, litigation, financing, and construction law professionals designed to serve you from concept to completion.
- Mixed used development: Represented the City of Manassas Economic Development Authority regarding the legal work necessary for the development of The Landing at Cannon Branch, mixed-used development which will house a hotel, retail, offices, restaurants and over 270 new homes
- Special permit amendment for international retailer: Successfully represented international retailer seeking approval of special permit amendment to expand convenience store gas station; matter involved substantial community outreach with influential citizen’s group in Fairfax.
- Shopping Mall Subdivision: Represented regional shopping mall owner in connection with subdivision and sale of mall parcel and drafted and negotiated complex reciprocal easement and operating agreement in connection with sale.
- Municipalities: Advised municipalities in connection with various zoning and land use matters including: Virginia’s new proffer legislation; sign ordinances after the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision in Reed v. Town of Gilbert; the Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act (RLUIPA), and federal constitutional issues in connection with zoning ordinances pertaining to certain land uses.
- Federal Easement Mediation: Represented flex building owner in mediation involving claim against title insurance company regarding insurer’s failure to identify federal easement that restricted owner’s land use; conducted appraisal analysis and worked with expert appraiser.
- Performance Bond Agreements: Assisted municipalities in drafting performance bond agreements for site/subdivision, storm water management, erosion and sediment control and landscaping improvements.
- Zoning Analysis: Provided zoning analysis in connection with client’s potential purchase of land for manufacturing and testing facility in a Northern Virginia county.