VF&N’s attorneys and planners have an extensive track-record of resolving matters favorably for our clients. We provide land use and zoning legal representation to municipalities, businesses, real estate developers and individuals in the Northern Virginia, DC Metropolitan, and surrounding areas.
The development and use of land is heavily regulated by local government, homeowners’ associations and deed restrictions. Within this environment, obtaining results will frequently require not only subject matter knowledge but also the advantage of experience. Clients seek us out because we deliver the full range of services necessary to plan, implement and complete complex projects.
Our dynamic full-service practice allows us to establish relationships with state and local governing bodies, developers, homeowner’s associations, and industry leaders. And with litigators, a corporate financing team, and a commercial leasing practice under one roof we can confidently address any concerns that may arise.
Land Use & Zoning Services
- Approval of Mix-use Ordinances
- Business and Industrial Condominium Creation
- Board of Zoning Appeals
- Commercial Zoning Opinion Letters
- Custom Zoning Provisions
- Deeds of Subdivision, Dedication, and Easement
- Development Incentives
- Development Feasibility Studies
- Monitoring Zoning Changes and Litigation Developments
- Nonconforming Use
- Rezoning and Variances
- Special Use Permits and Special Exceptions
- Subdivision and Site Plan review
- Targeted Industry designations
- Zoning and Building Code Issues
- Zoning Enforcement Issues
- Zoning Text Amendments
- Mixed used development: Represented the City of Manassas Economic Development Authority regarding the legal work necessary for the development of The Landing at Cannon Branch, mixed used development which will house, a brewery, hotels, retail, offices, restaurants and over 270 new homes
- Winery vs development covenants: Represented Effingham Manor, an 18th century historic estate converted into a winery, in an opposition case stating that it breached the community’s development covenants. Prince William County Circuit Court ruled in favor of our client, allowing Effingham Manor Winery to open for business.
- Nature preserve & parks: Shepherded the sale of a 300 acre parcel to a consortium of federal, state and private parties that resulted in the creation of a nature preserve. Also facilitated the conversion of a derelict water treatment plant into a pocket park.
- Special permit amendment for international retailer: Successfully represented international retailer seeking approval of special permit amendment to expand convenience store gas station; matter involved substantial community outreach with influential citizen’s group in Fairfax.
- Municipalities: Advised municipalities in connection with various zoning and land use matters including: Virginia’s new proffer legislation; sign ordinances after the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision in Reed v. Town of Gilbert; the Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act (RLUIPA), and federal constitutional issues in connection with zoning ordinances pertaining to certain land uses.
- Performance bond agreements: Advised municipalities in drafting performance bond agreements for site/subdivision, storm water management, erosion and sediment control and landscaping improvements & BZA appeals.
- Utility providers: Successfully resolved complex easement dispute on behalf of electrical utility provider.
“With Mike Vanderpool’s zoning and planning expertise, The Pyramid Companies were successful in establishing relationships within Prince William County and were able to effectively obtain site plan approval for the expansion of Manassas Mall.”
Stephen J. Congel – CEO of Pyramid Management Group, LLC
“I have enjoyed a long-term relationship with Mike and his team. Since I relocated to this area 30 years ago we have worked together on many successful projects thanks to him and his team’s skill & ability to get projects approved. I have always found them to be very professional, informed as to the issues relating to my projects and prepared when it came to presentations to boards, planning commissions and councils. They work well with the other outside professionals on my team and Mike is truly a team player. I highly recommend his firm and am convinced there are projects I would not have completed without their involvement.”
Ron Skarke – 7-11 Inc.