Overview of Services
Temporary protected status, or TPS, is available to those foreign nationals requiring a safe haven due to ongoing armed conflict or natural disasters in their country that have resulted in a disruption of living conditions. There must be extraordinary and temporary conditions in the foreign state that prevent foreign nationals from returning to their country.
Status is granted for six to 18-month periods of time and allows for work authorization. In order to qualify for TPS the following must be met and proved with supporting evidence:
- Be from a designated country;
- Be physically present and continuously residing in the United States as of the designated date;
- Must have no felony convictions and no more than one misdemeanor as classified under federal immigration law;
- Must register within the designated registration period. It is possible to apply outside of the designated period if the registrant applies within 60 days of expiration of such status; and
- Must maintain registration.
Please contact Immigrants First for assistance in registering for temporary protected status.